North Leith (Caledonian Railway)
on the map above was named
- 'Leith' until Aug
1, 1903, THEN
- 'North Leith' until April 7, 1952
- 'Leith North' until it closed to
passengers on April 30, 1962
Leith Citadel (North British Railway)
on the map above was also known as North Leith
Four Passenger Stations
Trams, buses, the Caledonian
Railway and the North British Railway all competed for passengers between
Edinburgh and Leith. All of Leith's railway stations have now
closed, and the trams have vanished but are due to return in 2010.
Three of the passenger stations
that once served Leith are highlighted on the map above.
Leith's other passenger station
was South Leith. This lay to the east of Leith Citadel station.
South Leith was the first station in Leith to open and the first to close
Here are brief details of Leith's
four stations, including a number of name changes:
Leith Central Station
2. North Leith
or Leith Citadel
3. Leith North Station
South Leith Station
There were also goods stations in Leith, including South Leith Docks.
Main sources of information:
'Edinburgh's Railways' (WAC Smith +Paul Anderson):
Publ. Irwell Press , 1995 ISBN 1- 87608-59-7
'Lost Railways of the Lothians' (Gordon
Stansfield): Publ. Stenlake Publishing Ltd., 2003 ISBN 1
84033 270 0
'Rail Centres: Edinburgh' (A J Mullay): Publ.
Ian Allan Ltd, 1991 ISBN 0 7110 1983 5
'Yesterday's Railways: Edinburgh' Publ:
Railway Correspondence and Travel Society ISBN 0 9508595 0 8
Leith Central Station
Opened: 1903 - North British
Closed to passenger traffic: 1952 - British Railways
Leith Central Station was an impressive building overlooking
the foot of Leith Walk. It was the largest station built
from scratch in Britain in the 20th century.
The station, with its platforms removed, was used as a
servicing depot for diesel multiple units from their
introduction in the Edinburgh area in 1957 until 1972.
The upper structure of the station, including the servicing
depot, in the photograph above was demolished in 1989.
A Scotmid supermarket and Leith WaterWorld swimming
pool were then built on the site.
Leith Central Station was the terminus for suburban trains
from Waverly Station at the East End of Princes Street.
Stations on this 2-mile line were:
Through trains also ran between Leith Central and Glasgow
North Leith Station
Also known as
Opened: 1846 - Edinburgh Leith &
Closed to passenger traffic: 1947 - LNER
History of the Station
North Leith station was
at Commercial Street, close to Leith Docks.
This was the Leith
terminus of a branch from Canal Street Station at the east end of
Princes Street via Scotland Street tunnel until 1868.
Later the line ran from
Waverley Station via Abbeyhill to Leith, the stations on this 3-mile
Powderhall (until 1917)
Later, the line ran ran via Abbey Hill to Waverley Station.
An LNER Sentinel steam railcar was introduced on this line in 1929.
The North British Railway closed the station to passenger traffic in
1947. It continued to be used for fish and other freight until the
The Station Today
former station is now used by Citadel Youth Centre.
building has been given a 'Category B Listing' by Historic Scotland, who
describe it as
"Single storey classical former station offices
fronting road; stylised order of acanthus leaves and harebells; cream
ashlar sandstone -, by Grainger and Miller, engineers, 1846."
Leith North Station
''Caledonian Station, Leith"
Opened: 1879 - Caledonian Railway
Closed to passenger traffic: 1962 - British Railways
Leith North station was situated in Lindsay Road, close to the 'Ocean Terminal
entrance' to Leith Docks, a short distance to the west of Leith Citadel
station. New housing was built, in the early 2000s, on the land where
Leith North station
used to stand.
The railway ran via Newhaven, Granton Road and Craigleith to Princes
Street station at the West End of Princes Street.
Princes Street Station also had lines running to the south through the
Scottish Borders. It closed in 1964.
Stations on this
- Princes Street
- Dalry Road
- East Pilton
- Granton Road
- Leith North
The station building survived into the 1990 when it was being used by a
company hiring marquees. The building has now
(2006) been demolished to allow new apartments to be built
around the entrance to Leith Docks, close to the Ocean Terminal shopping
New station at Seafield
Never used for passenger traffic
The Caledonian Railway also built a branch from this line to
Seafield. The branch ran via new stations built at Newhaven, Ferry
Road and Leith Walk and ended close to South Leith Station.
However, the line was never opened to passenger traffic.
The end of the line became Leith East Goods Station. There were also
sidings for goods traffic at Chancelot Mill, Rosebank, Leith Walk West and
South Leith Station
Opened: 1831 - Edinburgh &
Closed to passenger traffic: 1905 - North British
South Leith station was Leith's earliest station, built in
1831. The trains were originally horse-drawn.
The line ran along the Firth
of Forth, joining the East Coast Main Line from Waverley Station 2 miles
to the east at Portobello West Junction. The line still
(in 2006) carries freight traffic to Leith Docks.
Here are further details and recollections of
South Leith station.