This was Edinburgh's first
railway. It ran from Edinburgh St Leonard's station in Edinburgh to Dalkeith.
St Leonard's station was beneath the slopes of Arthur's Seat in Holyrood
This was a 4ft
6ins gauge horse-drawn
railway. It opened on 4 July 1831 to transport coal. A
passenger service was introduced from 2 June 1832, at first using a
converted stage coach. 2
The line ran to the south
Branches to Leith and
Musselburgh were added in 1838.
This railway was absorbed
into the North British Railway in 1845 and converted to steam operation.