Edinburgh - North Leith

Caledonian Railway

1879 -

Edinburgh's Railways  -  The Caledonian Railway from Edinburgh to North Leith bia the northern suburbs of Edinburgh

    peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

North Lieth (Caledonian Railway)

on the map above was named

'Leith' until Aug 1, 1903, THEN
'North Leith' until April 7, 1952 THEN
'Leith North' until it closed to passengers on April 30, 1962

Leith Citadel (North British Railway)

on the map above was also known as North Leith

North from Princes Street Station

The Caledonia Railway introduced a line running through the northern suburbs of Edinburgh to Leith in 1879.

Stations on the route were:

-  Princes Street

-  Craigleith

-  East Pilton

-  Granton Road

-  Newhaven

-  North Leith

A branch from this line at Craigleith led to Davidson's Mains and Barnton in the western suburbs of Edinburgh.

Today

Today much of the route of these old railways remains.  The track has been lifted, and the line is now used as a footpath and cycle track.

The north eastern part of this route passes through Craigleith, where part of the route may soon be used by the proposed new tramline.

1:  'Yesterday's Railways: Edinburgh'  Publ: Railway Correspondence and Travel Society  ISBN 0 9508595 0 8

 

 

STATIONS mentioned on the EDINBURGH RAILWAYS pages

B

Balerno

Balgreen

Barnton

Berwick

Blackford Hill

Burntisland

C

Canal Street

Canonmills

Corstorphine

Craigleith

Craiglockhart Road

D

Dalkeith

Dalry Road

Davidson's Mains

Duddingston & Craigmillar

E

East Pilton

G

Glasgow

Gorgie

Granton Gas Works

Granton Road

H

Haymarket

L

Leith Central

Leith Citadel

Leith North

Lothian Road

M

Morningside Road

N

Newhaven (Cal)

Newhaven (NB)

Newington

Niddrie

North Bridge

P

Perth

Pinkhill

Portobello

Princes Street

S

Scotland Street

Sheriffhall

St Leonard's

T

Trinity

W

Waverley

Map

 Map of some of Edinburgh's Railways since 1831

 

__________________