Despite having been closed for over 130 years, the
terminus of the old Canal Street Station can still be found opposite
Platform 19 in Waverley Station.
The old track from Canal
Street station ran at
right-angles to the Waverley Station lines in the photograph above, leaving
small dark 'hole' near the centre of this picture, and travelling to the
north, under Waverley Market, down the hill through Scotland Street tunnel.
Some of George Washington Wilson's early stereotype views of Waverley
Bridge, looking towards the Old Town of Edinburgh show the buildings
associated with Canal Street Station.
Trains were hauled up the line through the tunnel to Canal Street
Station. The line was extended to Granton in 1847, but services
through the tunnel were withdrawn and the line to Granton was routed via
Piershill in 1868. The last passenger services to Granton ran in