Lady Yester Church

 

Engraving from Modern Athens - published 1829

Lady Yester Church

Engraving from 'Modern Athens'  -  hand-coloured  -  Lady Yester Church

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Ian Smith

 

Drawn by Thomas H Shepherd

Engraved by W Radclyffe

 

    

Lady Yester Church

This church is named after Margaret Ker, Lady Yester, who in 1647 gave a considerable sum to the citizens of Edinburgh to pay for the building of a place of worship.

The original church in High Street Wind was taken down in 1803.

 Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh  -  High Street Wind

It was replaced in 1804 by Lady Yester Church (in the image above) built in the ancient Gothic manner.

[Modern Athens]

 

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 

 

__________________