In the early days (12th century to mid-18th century) Edinburgh
was a very small town, comprising just part of what we now know as
the 'Old Town' It extended to the east, only half-way down
the Royal Mile. The remainder of the Royal Mile was part of
Canongate, and the 'New Town to the north had not yet been
The Great Reform Act
of 1832 set new boundaries. Here is an interesting page from
Granton History web site showing these boundaries and
subsequent changes to them in the Granton area.
By moving the curser
across the 1832, 1896, 1900, 1920 dates on this site, the effect
of boundary changes in the Granton area can clearly be seen.
- In 1832, Granton was part
- In 1896, the Boswall area of
Granton was transferred to Edinburgh.
- in 1900, Granton Harbour,
Granton Gas Works
site and other land to the south of
the harbour were transferred to Edinburgh.
- in 1920, the remainder of Granton,
along with land further to the west, and the whole of Leith became
part of Edinburgh.