Recollections of the 1940s:
Most of the evacuated children returned during the early months of
1940. Some were taught in the mornings, others in the afternoons.
Air Raid practices were held in the playground where there were
shelters 'and lots of sand bags to burst!' The cloakrooms and
passage beneath the North Corridor were also made suitable for air raid
shelters. At night the teachers took it in turns to sleep upstairs
in the school to man the stirrup pumps in case of fire.
HMS Lochinvar Royal Navy Camp was built at the north end of the school
playing fields. Hence the name 'Lockies' used by some to describe
the school playing fields, even fifty years later.
Following the end of the War in 1945, Lochinvar Camp remained
in the school fields and was used to house homeless persons of many
nationalities. There were huts of all sizes and a camp shop.
Children from the district used the camp as a short-cut to Goldenacre.
The Wardie Residents Club was formed around 1945. It later
found accommodation in one or two of the H.M.S. Lochinvar huts. Their
dances in Wardie School hall
were popular. Children were soon given a nearby large room for organized
frolics. Douglas Beath
There are records of visits to the school by Polish Officers,
Czechoslovakian Officers and by speakers on behalf of 'The Navy' and
Wardie School had four 'Houses'
Warriston - red
Royston - Green
Craighall - Blue
Bangholm - white.
Pupils would normally stay in the same 'House' throughout
the school and even when they moved on to Trinity Academy.
Pupils were given a list of books to buy. These cost 2s
6d each at Mrs Whyte's shop across the road from the school, or about 4d
each if bought second-hand from other children in the school.
The school desks were in formal rows. Lessons included
dictation, learning tables and writing on slates, physical exercises, art,
singing, needlework and sewing.
Prize-givings were held in the school garden in the centre of
the school, with the choir singing from their position on the steps.
Some classes were taken outside to help the teacher to dig the
allotments on the Netherby Road side of the school fields as part of the
'Dig for Victory' campaign.
School dinners were cooked at Granton and brought to the school
in large metal containers. The dinners were served in front of an
open fire in the Football Pavilion beside the Tennis Courts in the
adjoining recreation ground.
[Anniversary Booklet -
Wardie School 1931-1981]