Trinity Church

 

Engraving from Modern Athens - published 1829

Trinity Church

Engraving from 'Modern Athens'  -  hand-coloured  -  Trinity Church

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Ian Smith

 

Drawn by Thomas H Shepherd

Engraved by W Watkins

 

Trinity Church

Trinity Church was in Low Calton, in the valley between Canongate and Calton Hill.

The church was demolished to allow the railway into Edinburgh Waverley station to be built.  The church was dismantled stone by stone, and the stones were numbered to allow it to be reconstructed.

However, the stones were left on Calton Hill for many years, and a large proportion were removed, so only a small part of Trinity Church was ever rebuilt.

 

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 

 

__________________