The ruins of Roslyn Castle, and
Roslyn Chapel (now undergoing restoration) are situated about
seven miles to the south of Edinburgh.
The book Modern Athens
reports that access to the castle is by a narrow bridge over a
deep natural ravine, the sides of which are solid rock.
The castle may date from around
1100, though there appears to be no mention of it in history until
the year 1455. It was burnt down in 1544 by the English
forces under the Earl of Hertford. The modern part of the
castle was rebuilt in 1563.