The Trades Maiden Hospital was
situated on the eastern side of Argyle Square. It had a
frontage of 150 feet, and was founded in 1704.
The book Old & New Edinburgh
comments that the hospital was intended for the daughters of
decayed tradesmen, and was a noble institution founded in 1704 by
the charitable Mrs Mary Erskine, the liberal contributor to the
Merchant Maiden Hospital ane was a joint foundress of both.
[Old & New Edinburgh]