St Bernard's Well

 

Engraving from Modern Athens - published 1829

St Bernard's Well  -  beside the Water of Leith at Stockbridge

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  hand-coloured  -  St Bernard's Well beside the Water of Leith at Stockbridge

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Ian Smith

 

Drawn by Thomas H Shepherd

Engraved by JB Allen

 

    

St Bernard's Well

St Bernard's Well lies on the southern bank of the Water of Leith,

 between Stockbridge

 Engraving from "Modern Athens"  -  published 1829  -  The Water of Leith at Stockbridge

and Telford's  Dean Bridge

  Engraving  -  The Dean Bridge and Randolph Cliff .

The Well

The well  was built as an open temple supported by ten pillars, with a statue of Hygena, the goddess of Health in the centre.  It was erected by Lord Gladstone in 1790.  It provided water with a sulphurous odour, but within forty years it was reported:

 "The novelty of the thing has passed away.  The miraculous properties of the beverege  are now, therefore, less observed."

[Modern Athens]

 

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 

 

__________________