Merchant Maiden Hospital was founded in 1695 for the education
of daughters of decayed merchant burgesses of Edinburgh.
chief contributor was Mary Erskine (after whom one of
Edinburgh's schools is now named). She purchased the
original house and garden-grounds near Bristo Park.
school later moved to the building shown in this engraving,
situated beside the Meadows, which was begun in 1816. It
is of Grecian character, and accommodated about 80 girls between
the ages of seven and seventeen.
included sleeping accommodation, three school-room, a meeting
room, a kitchen, washing house, laundry and a chapel. The
highest floor consisted of a series of rooms, extending the
whole length of the building, used for drying clothes during the
Mary Erskine later went on to
Trades' Maiden Hospital in Edinburgh.