The Monument - 1829
The book Modern Athens,
published in 1829, described the monument:
"It rises from a broad
expanded base, containing a number of rooms, originally intended
to give accommodation to disabled seamen.
They are now leased to a
vendor of soups and sweetmeats - and the visitors of the
monument have the opportunity of eating in them, in what measure
they please, and drinking, under certain restrictions to the
memory of the great hero they commemorate.
It contains an internal
winding staircase, leading to the top, from which, as from that
of other columns, there is a view. The privilege of the
survey is sold for a shilling."
The Monument - Today
The monument and
its viewing platform is still open to the public. But
there are no longer any sales of soup, sweetmeats and drinks. At
the top of the monument is:
a viewing area with open views across the Firth of Forth to the
north towards Edinburgh Castle in the West and towards the hills
in the south.
a time-ball, raised then lowered daily at 1pm. This was
installed to give an accurate time-check to the shipping in the
Firth of Forth. At one time it was linked by cable
stretching across the valley to Edinburgh Castle as a means of
triggering the Edinburgh One