The Grassmarket lies in the
valley immediately to the south of Edinburgh Castle.
The book, Modern Athens,
published in 1829,
"Its spacious area has
long afforded a market-place for corn and cattle. It has
lately, however, been shorn of half its glories - the sheep
market having been transferred to an area west of it."
"Still celebrated as a
place of bustle and life - it was, at no distant period,
renowned also as a place of death. It was the chosen site
of the gallows, the former locality of which is still marked out
by a peculiar arrangement of the pavement at its eastern
Today, the Grassmarket has antique shops,
Cafés, and occasional street market. It can be approached
from George IV Bridge down Victoria Street and West Bow which
offer an interesting range of small shops.