view, from the graveyard of Canongate
in the lower
portion of the Royal Mile, looks over the top of some of the
buildings of the Old Town towards Calton Hill. On top of
the hill are the Nelson Monument and the National Monument
(under construction - it was never completed).
light-coloured building occupying most of the upper part of the
engraving is The Royal High School. This school has been
based at several different sites, but this must surely be the
most impressive. The school was based here from the early
19th century until the late 20th century. The foundation
stone for this building was laid in 1825.
building was considered as a possible home for the Scottish
Parliament, but lost out in favour of new building, currently
under construction at Holyrood.
are now underway for using the building as a possible home to
house and display a collection of Scottish Photography.
This would be an appropriate site, being close to the studio
where Hill & Adamson worked
in the early 1840s.