Edinburgh Photographic Club


Edinburgh Photographic Club was established in 1881 and open by invitation to 30 or 40 of the more senior members of EPS.  It held a full program including lectures, outings and dinners.

EPC Rules

Extract from EPC Rules of 1907 (with updates to 1916):

1. The object of the Club (which is intended to be auxiliary to the Edinburgh Photographic Society) is to afford favourable opportunities for discussion and conversation upon all  matters concerned with Photography, together with demonstration of processes and general exchange of experience in a free and discursive manner.

2. The Ordinary Meetings shall be held on the 3rd Wednesday (2nd Tuesday) of each month during the Session.

3. The annual Subscription shall be 2s 6d (5s 0d)

4. The Membership shall be restricted to 40 (30), each of whom must be a member of the Edinburgh Photographic Society.  …

5. Each Member is expected annually to contribute a copy of his own work, , such contribution to be exchanged by ballot among those contributing.  If two members receive their own pictures, they shall make a direct exchange;  if one member receives his own work he shall exchange with the Chairman. 

6. Applicants for admission must be nominated by a Member one month previous to the election, and specimen of their work must be submitted to the Members present when the ballot takes place.  Election shall be by ballot and the dissent of five Members as a minimum, or otherwise one-fourth of the members present, shall constitute rejection.

EPC Records

Records of attendance were kept meticulously in an Edinburgh Photographic Club Notebook:

A page from the EPC Attendance Book  -  1885-86

Edinburgh Photographic Club  -  Attendance Record

©  Reproduced by courtesy of Edinburgh Photographic Society


Edinburgh Photographic Club had its own syllabus, under the title - Within, the deliberations of the Forty Thieves

EPC Syllabus - 1926-1927

©  Reproduced by courtesy of Edinburgh Photographic Society


1904  -  Scottish Photographic Federation

Discussion on whether or not to join the Scottish Photographic Federation caused heated debate in both EPS and EPC.  There were resignations from EPS by members who went on to for the Midlothian Photographic Association which met in Edinburgh for a few years until EPS eventually joined SPF

EPC initially vote to join the Scottish Photographic Federation, against the wish of EPS.  It was argued that EPC had acted unconstitutionally, and so should be wound up in 1904.  However, EPC continued for another 44 years.

The End  -  EPC Memorial Shield

Edinburgh Photographic Club was eventually wound up in 1948, and in memory of the Club left a  Trophy to EPS  -  the EPC Memorial Shield.  EPS Bulletin, at the time reported:

It may be news to many members that since 1881 there has existed within the Society a Photographic Club with a membership drawn from the ranks of our most experienced and distinguished members.  

Originally conceived as a clearing house for new ideas and processes, a sort of upper chamber where the more advanced chemical and physical aspects of photography could be discussed and weighed in the balance of experience, it has gradually through the years become less and less necessary as the large research establishments of the manufacturers of photographic materials took over the work done previously by private enquirers, eventually driving far ahead of anything that the amateur could achieve, until to-day the Club fills a more or less social function only.

It has accordingly been decided at a meeting specially convened for the purpose, to wind up the Club, a decision, we may say, taken, in view of the Club’s long establishment, with some regret, and in order that its name and memory shall not be forgotten, a shield to be known by the above title will be presented by the Club to the E.P.S. to be awarded annually to the author of the best print in the Members’ Exhibition

The Memorial Shield takes the form of a conventionalised Celtic target of solid oak, with a raised bronze boss in its centre suitably inscribed, and surrounded by bronze studs upon which the names of the holders will be engraved.

The shield will be presented to the Society in time for the Members’ Exhibition which will open in the coming season on 29th January, 1949.

[EPS Bulletin No 5:  September 1948]