remains of the buildings in this part of Kirkwood's map of 1819.
was completed in 1783 and is still standing, looking very similar
to the picture above, but with Steele's statue of the Duke of
Wellington on his horse in front of the building.
buildings on the left at the end of North Bridge, at its junction
with Prices Street, with their yard of coaches in the centre were
demolished and replaced by the
British Railway Hotel (now the Balmoral Hotel) around a
Square with its Theatre Royal were demolished and the
foundation stone laid for the
Post Office in 1861, the year that
Edinburgh Photographic Society was founded.
Office moved out of the GPO in the 1990s. The building
is now a shell with only the exterior walls still standing, but
with new offices being constructed inside.
Orphan's Hospital (Trinity Hospital) in Low Calton, in the
lower-right corner of this map was demolished to make room for
Waverley Station and the railway.