St Giles' Church
This is the principle church in
Edinburgh. It is often referred to as St Giles Cathedral, but this
description has only been accurate for brief periods in it life (1633-38 and
The Church of Scotland does not have Bishops or Cathedrals.
St Giles stands in the High Street, part of Edinburgh's Royal Mile that
links Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace.
The first church on this site was probably
built in the 12th century.
Around 1581, St Giles was divided into three separate churches by the
erection of stone walls. These were taken down in 1633 and put up
again in 1639. They were rearranged many times and finally taken
down in 1882.
In 1817, the Old Tolbooth
and luckenbooths were removed from in front of the church, revealing its
exterior, which was seen to be in poor condition.
This was restored and rebuilt in 1829-33, so producing the church
approximately as we see it today.
The notes above are a very brief
extract from the comprehensive description of St Giles that appear in
'The Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh' (John Gifford et al)