Design of the Monument
Scott Monument is situated in Princes Street, Edinburgh. The
monument commemorates the work of the poet, Sir Walter Scott
It is a gothic tower, designed by George Meikle Kemp.
The foundation stone of the Monument was laid on 15 August 1840.
The Monument was photographed under construction by
William Henry Fox Talbot
and by Hill & Adamson.
Unfortunately, Kemp never saw it completed. He drowned in the
Union Canal on 6 March 1844.
The monument is built from light Pale Binny Sandstone from West
Lothian. In early photographs the stonework looks light compared
to the surrounding buildings. It must have been an impressive
Over time, the stonework has darkened through pollution in the air.
Cleaning was considered in the 1990s, but not carried out because of the
damage that might have resulted to the stonework.