Greyfriars' Church

or to give it its full name

Greyfriars' Tolbooth & Highland Kirk

 

Engravings

 Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  Greyfriars Church

Modern Athens - 1829

Greyfriars' Church

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Greyfriars Church

Old & New Edinburgh - 1890

Greyfriars' Church

 

Postcard

Postcard by unidentified publisher  -  Edinburgh Castle from Greyfriar's Churchyard

Unidentified Publisher

Edinburgh Castle
from Greyfriars' Church

Postcard by unidentified publisher  -  Edinburgh Castle from Greyfriar's Churchyard

POST CARD
Unidentified Photographer

  Edinburgh Castle from Greyfriars  -  A postcard by W & A K Johnston

POST CARD
W & A K Johnston

Raphael Tuck "Oilette" postcard  -  Castle from Greyfriar's Church

POST CARD
Tuck's "Oilette"

 

Greyfriars' Churchyard

Stereo View

A stereo view by an unidentified photographer  -  The Martyrs' Tomb, Greyfriars' Churchyard

The Martyrs' Tomb

 

Photos from the Edinburgh Survey Section Albums

Compiled around 1914

EPS Survey Section photograph  -  Greyfriars Churchyard and  Tollbooth St John's Church  -  DO Hill, 1843-45

DO Hill  -  1843-45

Greyfriars Churchyard and
Tollbooth St John's Church

EPS Survey Section photograph  -  Ruins of Greyfriars Church, following the fire of 1845  -  DO Hill, 1845-47

DO Hill  -  1845-7

Greyfriars Church Ruins - 1

EPS Survey Section photograph  -  Ruins of Greyfriars Church, following the fire of 1845  -  DO Hill, 1845-47

DO Hill  -  1845-47

Greyfriars Church Ruins - 2

EPS Survey Section photograph - Greyfriars Churchyard - Gravestone/Monument against the SE Wall  -  JC Mckechnie, 1912

JC Mckechnie  -  1912

Greyfriars Churchyard
Gravestone/Monument
against SE wall

EPS Survey Section photograph - Greyfriars Churchyard, East Division  -  JC Mckechnie, 1912

JC Mckechnie  -  1912

Greyfriars Churchyard
East Division

EPS Survey Section photograph - Greyfriars Church  -  JC Mckechnie, 1912

JC Mckechnie  -  1912

Greyfriars Church

EPS Survey Section photograph - Greyfriars Churchyard and Lodge  -  JC Mckechnie, 1912

JC Mckechnie  -  1912

Greyfriars Churchyard
and Lodge

EPS Survey Section photograph - Greyfriars Churchyard Lodge  -  JC Mckechnie, 1912

JC Mckechnie  -  1912

Greyfriars Churchyard Lodge

EPS Survey Section photograph - Entrance to Greyfriars Church  -  JR Hamilton, 1914

JR Hamilton  -  1914

Entrance to
Greyfriar's Church

 

Recent Photos

2005 - 2010

   Greyfriars' Church following restoration  -  2005

Greyfriars' Kirk

  

Greyfriars' Kirk and
Greyfriars' Bobby Tombstone

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard 

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard in snow

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard 

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard in snow

Greyfriar's Church in the snow - November 2010 

Greyfriars' Kirk and graveyard in snow

Gravestone to Greyfriar's Bobby at Greyfriar's Church

Greyfriars' Bobby Tombstone

Greyfriars' Bobby Tombstone

Ceremony  -  January 14, 2011

   Laying a Wreath at Greyfriars Bobby's Tombstone

Greyfriars' Bobby's Tombstone
Laying the Wreath

Guard of Honour for Layiing the Wreath Ceremony at Greyfriars Bobby's Tombstone

Greyfriars' Bobby's Ceremony
Guard of Honour at Entrance

Colour Sergeant Scott and Skye Terrier Bleu, near the entrance to Greyfriars' Kirk at the top of Candlemaker Row

Greyfriars' Bobby's Ceremony
Skye Terrier

Field Gun and army truck outside Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar for the ceremony to Greyfriars' BObby in Greyfriars' Churchyard

Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar
+ Field Gun + Truck

Field Gun and Guard of Honour outside Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar for the ceremony to Greyfriars' Bobby in Greyfriars' Churchyard

Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar
+ Field Gun + Guard of Honour

Field Gun outside Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar for the ceremony to Greyfriars' Bobby in Greyfriars' Churchyard

Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar
+ Field Gun

   Professional photogarphers take photos of Colour Sergeant Scott leading his Skye Terrier, 'Bue' out of Greyfriars Kirkyard, following a cemetery to place a wreath on Greyfriars' Bobby's grave. 

Greyfriars' Bobby's Ceremony
Photographers

 

Greyfriars' Churchyard

Performance of Shakespeare's play: 'Macbeth'

2007

A scene from Frantic Redhead Productions' play 'Macbeth' - Edinburgh Fringe Festival, August 2007

A scene from Frantic Redhead Productions' play 'Macbeth' - Edinburgh Fringe Festival, August 2007

A scene from Frantic Redhead Productions' play 'Macbeth' - Edinburgh Fringe Festival, August 2007

 

Greyfriars' Kirk

New Year's Day

2017

Greyfriars Church  -  Organ Pipes at the West End of the Church

Organ Pipes

Stained Glass Windows on the east wall of the church

Stained Glass Windows

Stained Glass Windows on the east wall of the church,  zoom-in

Stained Glass Windows  -  zoom-in

Stained Glass Windows on the east wall of the church,  zoom-out

Stained Glass Windows  -  zoom-ou

 

 

History

Greyfriars Tolbooth and Highland Kirk is named after the "grey friars" who frequented the church before the Reformation.

The church is now known as Greyfriars' Church or Greyfriars' Kirk.

It is most famous today for the legend of Greyfriars Bobby, the Skye terrier that returned and lay beside his master's grave, every day for fourteen years.

[Edinburgh Evening News,  26 June 2002  +  29 March 2003, p.11]

 

Old and New Churches

The original Greyfriars' Church was built between 1602 and 1620, but in 1718 it was partially wrecked when gunpowder stored in the church tower exploded.

Rather than just repair the original church, the town council commissioned plans for a second church (New Greyfriars') to be  built against the west end of the existing church.  The New Greyfriars' Church was opened in 1721.

The congregations of the old and new churches appear to have been separate until they became united in 1929.

 

Today

About ten years ago, a new organ was installed.  The church is now 2002 used for lectures, concerts  and recitals, and will soon benefit from a 1m grant from the National Lottery Fund, to be spent on renovating the roof, masonry and stained glass windows.

The exterior stonework of the church used to be coloured yellow "ochre".  It is now being restored to its original colour.

[Edinburgh Evening News,  26 June 2002  AND  29 March 2003, p.11]

 

 

EDINBURGH:   Street Views + Buildings + Around Edinburgh

BUILDINGS:   Canongate Church     Canongate Tolbooth      Castle      Free Church     GPO     Holyrood      John Knox      Maule's      Monuments    Galleries     Old Town       Royal High School      St Giles     St Mary's     Scott Monument    Schools + Hospitals     Looking down

 

 

__________________