General Post Office was built at the Northern end of North Bridge,
on Shakespeare Square, which previously housed the Theatre Royal.
his book, Edinburgh
in old picture postcards, Donald Lindgren writes of the Theatre
the facade was a barn-like structure described by one writer as 'a blot
upon the most important and crowded thoroughfare in Edinburgh.'
Theatre Royal operated from many different sites around the City.
opened on site close to the top of Broughton Street, beside St Mary's
Roman Catholic Cathedral in 1853,finally closing in 1946, following its destruction by fire.
This site has been the home of four theatres since 1853, all of which
have burnt down.