of Edinburgh Council's web
site includes a selection of photographs from the Edinburgh
Room at Edinburgh Central Library.
caption that they have added to the photograph above:
'"The horse drawn
tram service began operating in November 1871 and finished in
The early service
offered a route between Bernard Street in Leith and Haymarket.
By 1892, 84 cars were trundling along 18 miles of track. In
June of 1893 Edinburgh Corporation acquired 60 cars and 600
sold the operating side to a firm called Dick Kerr & Co. who
created the Edinburgh & District Tramways Company who then ran the
service within Edinburgh.'