Edinburgh's cable tramway system comprised of a
cable that ran under the streets and moved at a constant speed. The
trams had grippers that held on to this cable when the wished to move
The first trial length of this system was opened
- from Pilrig (half way between Leith and
Edinburgh - close to the Transport Depot at Shrubhill, where the engine
that powered the moving cable was housed
- to St Andrew Street - close to the Scott
Monument in Princes Street.
Most of Edinburgh's tram system was converted from horse-drawn to cable
The system was gradually extended over the next
few years, and by 1907
there were twelve routes in operation.
1915, the system had
about 26 miles of cable track and was the largest in Europe.