Helmsdale is in the
county of Caithness, on the railway line from Inverness to Wick and
Thurso in the far north of Scotland.
It is near the northern
end of the Duke of Sutherland's short stretch of railway, built from
his private station at Dunrobin to West Helmsdale in 1870.
The Duke of Sutherland's railway was absorbed by the Highland
Railway in 1884.