This view is titled 'North British Railway from the North Bridge'.
I have only a small fairly feint copy of this image (about 4 ins
x 3 ins). The original may have been an engraving. I'm not
Included in this view are:
- The Governor's House at Edinburgh Jail (top-left corner of
- Edinburgh Jail, Regent Road (upper-left)
- Royal High School (upper-centre)
- Burns Monument, Regent Road (upper centre)
- Trinity College Church, beside the railway (centre-left)
- The Firth of Forth, coast of East Lothian (upper right)
- North Berwick Law, East Lothian (to the left of the Burns
- Canongate including gas works chimney (centre-right)
- Slopes of Arthur's Seat in Holyrood Park (top right corner)
- A large gathering on North Bridge (bottom). What was the occasion?
Might it have been the opening of the North British Railway line through
Calton in June 1846?