1868 - 1914
three poorhouses in the 1860s, at Canongate, St Cuthbert's and
The St Cuthbert's
Poorhouse was in poor condition and was replaced, in 1868, by a
Craigleith Poorhouse to serve the St Cuthbert's district.
This included an infirmary for the care of sick paupers.
The new St Cuthbert's
Poorhouse was built at Crewe Road, about 2 miles NW of the centre
of Edinburgh, on land purchased from the
Western General Hospital
The Local Government (Scotland) 1929
Act discontinued Parish Councils, the bodies previously
responsible for poorhouses.
Edinburgh Town Council took over the
hospital , improved it, made it available to the general public
and equipped it as a teaching hospital. The name was changed
to become The Western General Hospital.