St George's West

Church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, Edinburgh

 

 

More Photographs

2011

Looking Up

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011 

640 size

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011

640 size

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011 

640 size

Verticals straightened

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011 

640 size    2048 size

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011 

640 size    2048 size

St George's West church on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street, West End, Edinburgh  -  2011 

640 size    2048 size

All nine images above have been made from the same photograph

History

St George's West

and other related churches

Church Buildings

and

Congregations

1. St George's church was built  by Edinburgh Council on the west side of Charlotte Square, between 1811 and 1814

2. In 1843, the 'Disruption' occurred, in which many Ministers and Members of the Church of Scotland broke away from the church to form the Free Church of Scotland. Those who broke away from St George's Church at Charlotte Square moved into a new building, Free St George's at Lothian Road, that opened in 1845 on the site of the current Caledonian Hotel. 

3. Caledonian Railway's expansion resulted in the demolition of Free St George's in Lothian Road, in the mid-1860s.  A new Free St George's church, designed by David Bryce, was built on the corner of Shandwick Place and Stafford Street in 1866-69. A 56 meter campanile, designed by Rowand Anderson, based on St Giorgio Maggiore, Venice, was added in 1879-81.  This is the building that appears in the photos on this page.

4. In 1964, the congregations of:

St George's church (in Charlotte Square) and

St Andrew's church (east end of George Street) united to  become
-
 St Andrew's & St George's.

They began to worship at the former St Andrew's church in George Street.

5 Free St George's church later became known as St George's West.
Was this at the time of the amalgamation of the United Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland in 1929?

6. In 2010, the congregations of:

 St George's West (4 above) and

 St  Andrew's & St George's (5 above) united to become
 St Andrew's & St George's West.

Source:  The Buildings of Scotland - Edinburgh (John Gifford et al)  (1+3 above)
St George's West web site (2+6 above)
St Andrew's & St George's West wikipedia web site (4 above)

 

 

EDINBURGH:   Street Views + Buildings + Around Edinburgh

BUILDINGS:   Canongate Church     Canongate Tolbooth      Castle      Free Church     GPO     Holyrood      John Knox      Maule's      Monuments    Galleries     Old Town       Royal High School     St Giles    St Mary's    Scott Monument   Schools + Hospitals   Looking down

 

__________________