Thank you to
George Field, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia for allowing me to
reproduce the photograph of the Jacey News Theatre at 131 Princes Street,
near the west end of Princes Street.
Here are George's recollections of working as a
projectionist in several of the Edinburgh cinemas from 1962
photograph above was taken in 1964, the year that the Jacey opened.
It remained open until 1973. It is now a Gap Clothing store.
The numbering in this section of Princes Street (from left to right in
the photo above) is:
- No.131a Hamilton House, knitwear, tweed and tartan
- No.131: Monseigneur Cinema.
- No. 130: Jamieson Fruit Merchants and Italian
Several of the early Edinburgh photographers had their
studios in this section of
Princes Street There were:
- No.131: John Horsburgh then John Horsburgh & Son
(1868 to 1898).
- No. 130: Ten different photographers or partnerships
(1865 to 1951).
No 131 is now a Gap Clothing Store.