Search for EPS Premises
its first thirty years, from 1861, EPS rented rooms in central Edinburgh
for its meetings and exhibitions.
In 1884, West of Scotland Amateur
Photographic Association set up a darkroom in Glasgow - so the campaign
began for EPS to acquire its own premises with
darkroom in Edinburgh.
plea for Premises
poem was read at the 1885 Annual Dinner in honour of the EPS
President, John McKean RSA. It included a plea for EPS to obtain its own
premises. The title:
Mr McKean’s Recitation
Further demands were made for EPS to:
possessed of a local habitation [where members ]
would be able to spend
an evening in congenial company, to both their pleasure and profit; to have ready access to both the literature and other
property of the Society; to have use of a commodious, well-equipped
darkroom, and many conveniences including refreshments - temperance at
1892, EPS finally acquired its own premises on the top floor of 38 Castle
Street for £920. The rooms
were converted to include kitchen, library, reading room and darkrooms.
plea for better Premises nearer the ground!
a few years membership had doubled, and reached about 500. By 1898, the Castle Street premises were already too small,
and it was agreed that the proceeds from EPS Popular Evenings should be
devoted to a fund for acquiring new and better premises.
It took a long time to find suitable premises.
1911 at least one member made an appeal for premises nearer the ground in
Dessus de l’Escalier.
Unfortunately for this
member, EPS remained at 38 Castle Street until 1925, when the Society
moved to premises in Edinburgh shared with the Royal Scottish Society of
Arts, first at George Street, and later at Royal Terrace.
More Pages of