Edinburgh Transport

Pilrig

Linking of the Edinburgh and Leith tramway systems

 

First day of operation for through electric trams between Leith and Edinburgh

 The tram and large crowd (all wearing hats) at Leith Walk, Pilrig, the old boundary between Edinburgh and Leith

Tram and large crowd at Pilrig  -  When?

  Reproduced by courtesy Lothian Buses plc                                                  [Photographer:  probably Edwin O Catford]

 

Pilrig

20 June 1922

Here is a photograph of a tram surrounded by a large crowd at Pilrig, close to Shrubhill tram depot.

The occasion was probably one of the first tramcars travelling up Leith Walk on 20 June 1922, following the linking of the Edinburgh and Leith electric tramway systems allowing through travel at Pilrig.

This photograph should be worth a good look for anybody with an interest in  trams - or hats!

 

Replacement of Cable Cars by Electric Trams

1922-1923

The first routes were converted from cable cars to electric trams on 20 June 1922.  They were:

-  Pilrig to Liberton

-  Abbeyhill to St Andrew Square

-  Salisbury Place to Church Hill.

The conversion of all routes using Princes Street occurred overnight on 21-22 October1922.

The last route to be converted was on 24 June 1924:

-  Waterloo Place to Joppa

 

 

TRANSPORT

Full Index Bus
Tickets
Railway
Tickets

Maps

 Photos

Types

Early

Today

Trams - Central Edinburgh

Trams - Around Edinburgh

  

 

 

__________________