During the decades of Edinburgh's cable car system, the
two mile tram journey down Leith Walk from Edinburgh to Leith involved a
change of tram from the Edinburgh cable car to a Leith Electric tram at
the boundary, at Pilrig.
In 1922, Edinburgh's cable cars in Leith Walk were
replaced by electric trams in 1922, allowing a through journey between
Edinburgh and Leith. The link was established on 20 June 1922.
The photograph above, by EO Catford shows the tram with
the official party crossing the boundary at Pilrig at mid-day on 20 June