Edinburgh Recollections

Bankfield Cottages

The Wisp

These maps were added to the web site in response to questions
asked  about the cottages on this page of Recollections of The Wisp

Maps

Ordnance Survey
25 inch and 6 inch maps
1914, 1932, 1932, 1938

"As Simon Capeldi says in his Message 4 above, buildings at Bankfield appear on early Ordnance Survey maps. 

However, it looks as if Bankfield Cottages where Jean Kinnear lived (- see Recollections 2 above) may not have been built until some time after 1914.  See the Ordnance Survey large scale maps below:

-  Map 2 ('25 inch', 1932) shows 8 houses which I assume are the cottages where Jean lived.  They are near the upper-left corner of the map,  (1932) below  below shows a block of 8 houses at Bankfield in 1932.  They are near the upper-left corner of the map, to the left of the word 'Bankfield.

Map 1 ('25 inch' 1914) however, shows no houses yet built in that location.

Map 3 and Map 4 ('6 inch', 1932 and 1938) zoom-out to show the position of Bankfield Cottages at The Wisp in relation to their surroundings.  They are about one mile ESE of the then recently built (and now recently demolished) houses on the Craigmillar estate.

Map 1

  Ordnance Survey Map
'25 inch to 1 mile'

1914

Old shaft:  Gasometer: , Railway lines:
Bankfield without Bankfield Cottages

The Wisp  -  25 inch Ordnance Survey Map, 1914

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to National LIbrary of Scotland Map Room

Map 2

  Ordnance Survey Map
'25 inch to 1 mile'

1932

Old shaft (gone):  Gasometer (gone):  Railway (re-aligned):
Bankfield including Bankfield Cottages

The Wisp  -  25 inch Ordnance Survey Map, 1932

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to National LIbrary of Scotland Map Room

Map 3

  Ordnance Survey Map
'6 inch to 1 mile'

1932

Bankfield Cottages are 2/3 of way down this map, near right-hand side.
They are 1 mile ESE of Craigmillar and 1/2 mile SE of Niddrie (empty fields + school)

The Wisp  -  6 inch Ordnance Survey Map, 1932

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to National LIbrary of Scotland Map Room

Map 4

  Ordnance Survey Map
'6 inch to 1 mile'

1938

Bankfield Cottages are, again, 2/3 of way down this map, near right-hand side.

Houses are now planned for  Niddrie and the school has been extended.

St Theresa's Chapel (mentioned by Jean Kinnear here) has been built at Niddrie.

The Wisp  -  6 inch Ordnance Survey Map, 1938

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to National LIbrary of Scotland Map Room

 

View 4 smaller maps

   

 

Portobello Recollections  1920s-50s

Portobello Recollections  from 1950s

 

 

__________________