must once have been a wide open and desolate space, extending from
Inverleith and Warriston to the shore of the Firth; and from North
Inverleith Mains, of the old called Blaw Wearie, on the west to
Bonnington on the east, traversed by the narrow streamlet known as
Now it is
intersected by streets and roads, studied with fine villas rich in
gardens and teeming with fertility; but how waste and
desolate the muirland must once have been is evidenced by those
entries in the accounts of the Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, with
reference to firing Mons Meg in the days when royal salutes were
sometimes fired with shotted gun!
On the 3rd of
July, 1558, when the Castle batteries saluted in honour of the
Dauphin's marriage with Queen Mary, Mons Meg was fired by the
express desire of the Queen Regent; the pioneers were paid for
'their laboris in
mounting Meg furth of her lair to be schote, and for finding and
carrying her bullet from Wardie Muir to the Castell'
Wardie is fully
two miles north from the Castle and near Granton."
Old & New Edinburgh, Vol 3, Chapter XXXVI, P.306,
Wardie, Trinity & Granton