St Andrew Street
acknowledgement to Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh
St Andrew Street and
This view looks to the west towards what remains
of the buildings in St Andrew Street at Coalhill, Leith, near the south
bank of the Water of Leith. The buildings on the extreme-right of
this photo are in Sheriff Brae.
Here is another photo taken from nearby, a few
yards to the right, showing the building at the corner of St Andrew Street
and Sheriff Brae. This building can be seen on both photos:
Sheriff Brae is an extension to the west of
Coalhill, the street beside what was the
upper drawbridge over the Water of Leith at Sandport Place. The
upper drawbridge can be seen on the 1870-71 map of Leith (below)
immediately to the left of the letter 'L'
of LEITH HARBOUR' printed
along the centre of the Water of Leith.
St Andrew Street is one of the Leith streets that
was re-named to avoid duplication of names when Leith and Edinburgh merged
in 1920. St Andrew Street used to follow the course of what is now
Parliament Street and the northern part of Giles Street
The corner in this photo is immediately to the
left of the point on the 'A' arrow symbol on this
Acknowledgement: Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh:
January 5, 2010
The photos above are from a series of
photos posted onto boards in an old album that Archie Foley acquired a few
years ago. Archie believes that these are likely to be official
photos that probably once belonged to Leith City Council.