acknowledgement to Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh
Peter Stubbs - please contact
Photo taken: January 25, 2011
Comparison of 'demolished 1914' photo and
The Corner of St Andrew Street and
All the old buildings have survived. New
buildings and cars have arrived. One of the old lamp posts has been
positioned beside the new building.
Looking down Sheriff Brae towards the corner
St Andrew Street and
This view looks to the SE along Sheriff Brae
towards the corner with St Andrew Street, now Parliament Street. The
tree on the left-hand side of this 2011 photo is beside this street corner.
The buildings on left of this row of houses, at
the corner of the street, in the photo above are the same as the ones on
the left-hand side of the photo below, taken from a few yards
further to the east at the corner of St Andrew Street.
Sheriff Brae is an extension to the west of
Coalhill, the street beside what was the
upper drawbridge over the Water of Leith at Sandport Place. The
upper drawbridge can be seen on the 1870-71 map of Leith (below)
immediately to the left of the letter 'L'
of LEITH HARBOUR' printed
along the centre of the Water of Leith.
St Andrew Street is one of the Leith streets that
was re-named to avoid duplication of names when Leith and Edinburgh merged
in 1920. St Andrew Street used to follow the course of what is now
Parliament Street and the northern part of Giles Street
The corner in this photo is immediately to the
left of the point on the 'A' arrow symbol on this
This photo of the upper drawbridge over the Water
of Leith at Sandport Place was taken from immediately to the right of the
point on the 'A' arrow symbol on the same
Acknowledgement: Archie Foley, Joppa, Edinburgh:
January 5, 2010
The early photos above are from a series of
photos posted onto boards in an old album that Archie Foley acquired a few
years ago. Archie believes that these are likely to be official
photos that probably once belonged to Leith City Council.
"To this day, many old Leithers still refer to
Sheriff Brae (the road linking Mill Lane and Coal Hill) as 'Shirra Brae'.
"It was named after the wealthy Leith
Merchant, Sir John Logan of the Loganís of Coatfield, who became Sheriff
of Leith. His
son, James, was knighted by king James IV and became Deputy Sheriff.
Sir John bestowed the lands to his son, along
the Water of Leith from Bridge End (Sandport Place) to Ballantyne Rd and
Leith Mills at North Fort. Mill lane was just then a rough walkway lined
with hawthorn bushes.
Sir Johnís manse was on the site now occupied
by St Thomasís church."
Frank Ferri, Newhaven, Edinburgh:
January 28, 2010