The picture above is derived from a photograph, looking along George
Street from outside the Assembly Rooms, towards the dome of West Register
House on the west side of Charlotte Square.
West Register House was originally built as St George's Church in 1814.
This photograph was taken at around 4.30pm, shortly before the dome was
The tree immediately to the right of the bus in this photo is the St
Columba's Hospice Christmas tree in Charlotte Square.
Five large trees with the stars on top can be seen in the centre of
George Street. They are in George Street, close to Charlotte Square,
Castle Street (two trees) and Frederick Street (two trees).
The decorations in George Street are new for 2003 and comprise eight
large trees in the centre of the street and twenty-four small trees at the
edges of the street. All trees were funded by Edinburgh City Council
with support from Standard Life and many George Street businesses.