Ian Ross of the 1st
Leith Boys' Brigade Company Ex-Members' Association
"The photo is one of many
hundreds held by the 1st Leith BB Company Memorial Club, collected by
previous Captains and Officers since 1894! About 100 of these photos
are included in a new book which will be launched on March 12, titled:
Beginnings - The Story of The 1st Leith BB'."
photo was taken at the Annual Inspection of the
Leith Battalion, The Boys' Brigade on April 28, 1917. The BB Officer to
the rear and half hidden is A J Lethem who was Captain of the 1st Leith
Company which was being inspected at that moment.
He is the gent who bought
and donated the Memorial Club to the 1st Leith, and also Lethem Park to
the Leith Battalion.
The Inspecting Officer was Brigadier-General E
Morton commanding 24th Reserve Infantry Brigade. The 1st Leith was
actually the largest Company on parade that day."
rifles were used as an aid to drill from the beginning of the Brigade in
1883. However, the First World War was to eventually bring an end to
Many Parents and Ministers
felt that it was inappropriate to see young boys in a military-style
situation after so many of their relatives had died in the War and, one by
one, the Companies abandoned use of the rifles.
Brigade HQ eventually
decreed in 1924 that all Companies were to stop drilling with the dummy
Ian Ross, Craigentinny, Edinburgh:
February 28 + March 2, 2010