Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890


The River Almond at Cramond

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Cramond

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk



The River Almond joins the Firth of Forth at Cramond.  Evidence of the Romans has been found at Cramond, including an old boatyard, a little further up the river.

Cramond remains a popular centre for sailing small boats and dinghies.  The river is tidal.  Boats can enter and leave within about 3 hours of high tide.  At low tide, there is a causeway, giving access by foot to Cramond Island, about a mile offshore.