is described in Old & New Edinburgh in 1890 as 'a somewhat
stately thoroughfare, one of the oldest and principal streets in
Leith, measuring eleven hundred feet in length by an
average breadth of fifty feet'.
street used to extend to the north from the foot of Leith Walk;
but the area immediately to the north of the Foot of Leith Walk
is now a modern shopping centre.