is a view of George Heriot's Hospital (now Heriot's School) from
are many paintings, engravings and photographs of Heriot's
school. One of its earliest photographers was William
Henry Fox Talbot, on a visit to Edinburgh in the early
Heriot, goldsmith to James VI, left funds in 1623 for the
endowment of a Hospital for "maintenance, relief and
bringing up" of poor fatherless boys , freemen's sons
of the town.
Heriot died in 1624. The building was finally completed in
1660 at a cost of £27,000.
building is still the home of Heriot's School. It now has many more than its
original 30 pupils.