Physicians' Hall (described in Old & New Edinburgh as
the Old Physicians' Hall) is a prominent building on the south side of George Street,
almost opposite St
is in Grecian style and was built in 1775.
This site was purchased by
the Commercial Bank of Scotland in 1843. The bank
demolished the Physician's Hall and commissioned
David Rhind to design
a new Head Office for them, to be constructed on this site.
From 1848, for about a
hundred and fifty years, this was a bank - first the Commercial
Bank of Scotland, then, following a series of mergers,
National Commercial Bank of Scotland,
Royal Bank of Scotland. It now
houses a restaurant and bar, named The Dome.
building appears to have undergone a number of modifications
since the it was depicted in the engraving above.