This is a wood-cut engraving,
from a drawing by Sir John Carr,
published in 1809.
- This view looks
to the east from a position that would now be about at the
junction of The Mound and Market Street. It looks across
towards the North Bridge and Calton Hill, before the Nelson
Monument and National Monument were built on the hill.
building at the right of the picture is the Head Office of the Bank of
- The open area in the centre
of the picture is now part of Edinburgh Waverley railway station.
Old North Bridge was built 1767-1772