Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Cockburn Street

formerly Lord Cockburn Street

Lord Cockburn Street

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Lord Cockburn Street

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

 Lord Cockburn Street    (hand-coloured)

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Lord Cockburn Street

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Cockburn Street

Many high tenements in the Old Town of Edinburgh were demolished in the mid-nineteenth century to enable Lord Cockburn Street (now known as Cockburn Street to be built.

This curves street leads from Waverley Bridge (above Waverley Station up the hill to join the High Street opposite the Tron Church.

The high building seen on the right, with the washing hanging outside one of the windows, is the back of the Royal Exchange which faces onto the Royal Mile opposite St Giles Cathedral.

 

 

 

__________________