Meg is a cannon, forged in 1476 at Mons in France. At the time, it
was one of the largest cannons in the world. It was capable of firing a cannon ball almost two
miles. It was used in battle until 1682. After remaining in
London for many years, it was returned to Edinburgh Castle in 1829,
following a campaign by Sir Walter Scott. [EOPPC]
Mons Meg can be seen on the castle ramparts, facing to the North
towards Edinburgh New Town.
view looks down from Mons Meg towards (on the left side of the picture,
bottom to top) the National Galleries, the Scott Monument, Waverley
gardens and Calton Hill with its monuments. In
the distance are the Firth of Forth and the county of Fife.