Horse Inn lies immediately to the north of the foot of the
Canongate in Edinburgh's Royal Mile - close to the
Palace and Chapel of Holyrood.
To find White Horse Inn,
enter along the close, once called Davidson's Close, and under an
arch to find the old buildings around a courtyard.
This was formerly an inn.
to London left from here during the 18th century. However,
the buildings has since been converted to create 15 houses.
The conversion was made in 1889, with further restoration being
carried out in 1964.
Much of the building is not as
authentic as it might appear. There is even doubt over the
authenticity of the date stone above one of the dormer windows.
It bears the date 1604.
Illustrated Architectural Guide]