Edinburgh

Riding of the Marches

September 6, 2009

King's Stables Road
View towards the West End

Riding of the Marches  -  Edinburgh, September 6, 2009

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                         Photo taken:  September 6, 2009

 

Enlarge this photo

    Riding of the Marches  -  Edinburgh, September 6, 2009

 

Edinburgh Riding of the Marches

Photograph

King's Stables Road lies to the west of Princes Street Gardens.  It is here that  the horses were re-united with their trailers following the Riding of the Marches.

This view looks along King's Stables Road from the top floor of Castle Terrace car park.

On the skyline are, left to right:

-  Buildings at the western end of Castle Terrace

-  Caledonian Hotel in Lothian Road, a red sandstone building

-  The tower of St John's church at the corner of Princes Street and Lothian Road.

-  The steeple of St Cuthbert's church, situated to the south east of St John's church, at the western end of Princes Street Gardens.

Riding of the Marches

Edinburgh's 'Riding of the Marches' was held on September 6, 2009.

There are annual Ridings in the Scottish Borders, but the last time this event was held in Edinburgh was in 1946.

Please click here to see more photos of the 2009 event and to read more about the history of 'Riding of the Marches'.

 

Edinburgh Riding of the Marches

Photograph

In the photograph above, riders stand in front of Aitchison House, part of the Scottish Parliament complex of buildings, as the ride pauses close to the foot of the Royal Mile.

Background

Edinburgh's 'Riding of the Marches' was held on September 6, 2009.  There are annual Ridings in the Scottish Borders, but the last time this event was held in Edinburgh was in 1946.

Please click the thumbnail image below to see more photos of the 2009 event and to read more about the history of 'Riding of the Marches'.

 

Edinburgh Riding of the Marches, 2009

Edinburgh Transport

 

__________________