The tradition of 'Riding of the Marches' is
thought to date back to the 12th Century in Scotland, when riders on
horseback carried out an annual inspection of their the town's Marches
or boundary stones.
Riding of the Marches in Edinburgh is first
recorded in 1579, and was then held regularly until 1718. The
tradition was revived, for one year only, in 1946 to commemorate the end
of World War 2.
The event was revived again in Edinburgh in
2009, the 'Year of the Homecoming' in Scotland.
The Route - 2009
Edinburgh 'Riding of the Marches was held on Sunday, September 6, 2009.
congregated at Tower Farm, Liberton, in the south of Edinburgh, at 6.40
am. They began with a ride to Swanston Village then over the
Pentland Hills, and back to Tower Farm. They then left Tower Farm
at noon, heading for Edinburgh's Royal Mile, via Holyrood Park.
were ceremonies for the riders at the Scottish Parliament and at the
Mercat Cross in the Royal Mile. The march then continued via
Johnston Terrace to the west end of the Grassmarket, and ended at King's
Details above have been taken from the
Edinburgh March Riders web site