Car Factory off West Granton Road, Granton, is the oldest surviving car factory in
Britain. There was a test track on the roof of the factory.
Motors was founded by William (later Sir William) Peck, Edinburgh
City Astronomer. But the company survived for only two years -
from 1898 to 1900.
cars resembled old coaches. In fact, shafts were incorporated into
Madelvic cars so that horses could take over if the electric motor
were driven by a small fifth wheel. It can be seen in the photograph
above, making contact with the ground between and behind the two
company also produced some small two-seater electric cars in which the
front wheels were powered conventionally.
Motors became bankrupt and were taken over by
Kingsburgh Motor Company in 1900.