Ramsay Garden is a
prominent building, looking down on Princes Street from Castle
Hill, immediately to the east of Edinburgh Castle, It is the
light building near the bottom right (at Y12)
in the aerial view below. Please click on the view to
Ramsay Garden has been built around the earlier building, Ramsay Lodge,
a self-designed octagonal house built around 1740 for poet Allan
Ramsay (1686-1758), father
of the painter, Allan Ramsay (1713-1784).
Ramsay Garden is a combination of Scos baronial and English cottage styles,
with turrets, towers and balconies, half-timbered gable and carved
doors. However, these features are as recent as the 1890s.
These additions and
alterations were conceived by the Edinburgh University professor Sir
Patrick Geddes. They were built in 1892-93 to tempt lecturers
and professors to move back, with Patrick Geddes, into the Old Town