Cinema and Theatre
Brendon Thomas writes in
his book 'The Last Picture Shows - Edinburgh':
"By 1913, the Kirkgate
theatre had been renamed the Gaiety and enlarged with a gallery, pit and
circle, with a shop on either side of the entrance.
Films appear to have
reigned supreme for about thirty years, but on July 3rd 1944, variety
returned with Will Fyffe.
The last picture show is
not known, but the last theatre production appears to have been 'Laugh of
a Lifetime', featuring Tommy Loman, Johnny Beattie, and the Four Kordites,
The three gates seen in
this photo led to the gallery, the pit and the circle.
This photo was taken at about the time
that the Gaiety closed.
The Gaiety, and other buildings in the Kirkgate have
now been demolished. The Newkirkgate Shopping Centre, built in 1965,
now stands on the site.